top of page
Graduation Ceremony

Graduate Visa
After Your T4 Visa

A graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a degree course in the UK.

If you are about to graduate, or have just graduated, please get in touch.

UK Graduate Visa

After your Student Visa

or Tier 4 (General) degree course

The UK Graduate Visa gives those that have completed a UK degree course, a further 2 years in the country (or 3 years if you have obtained a PhD).  The great thing about this visa is that it allows you to take up a job without employer sponsorship.  Companies often don't want to sponsor new hires.  This visa lets graduates prove themselves to an employer.  And, if the employer does not yet have a Skilled Worker visa sponsor licence, the time can also be used by the employer to get a licence (Contact us for help obtaining a licence).

To apply for a Graduate Visa, we need to show that you:

  • Are in the UK on a Student Visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa which has not expired.

  • Studied for a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree or other eligible course while on your visa.

  • Have successfully completed your course (either by having a degree awarded, or the university/college confirming your successful completion).

The Graduate visa lasts for 2 years (3 if you have a doctorate), and can not be extended.  To remain in the UK when it ends, you will need to switch to another visa, such as an employer-sponsored Skilled Worker visa.

For most people, a Graduate Visa is optimal.  But if you are a doctor or nurse, or you work in health or adult social care, and have a supportive employer, consider applying for a Health and Care worker visa which, unlike the Graduate Visa, is exempt from the annual immigration health surcharge.

Those that are set on a UK career may prefer to move to a Skilled Worker visa as soon as possible, in order to qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain faster.

If you are on a Graduate Visa, you should not apply for public funds (most benefits, but not NHS healthcare), and are not allowed to work as a professional sportsperson or coach.  General Graduate visas should not be used for further study: get a new student visa instead, unless the course concerned is not eligible for a Student Visa.

bottom of page